Sunday, February 22, 2015

The phenomenon that is Facebook

My husband and I announced on Facebook the other day that we are going to have a baby in September and we got over 240 likes and about 30 comments.

I can't tell you how happy that made us feel that so many people were excited for us...but probably a third of those people haven't talked to me face-to-face or on the phone for over 2 years. But we are still "friends" on Facebook so that means we are still friends in real life... right? It is just interesting to me that the only contact I have with some of these people is to "Like" each others' random stuff as we scroll through our phones. I am totally guilty of this too though. There are so many of those people who I too haven't bothered to call in the last 2 years because I "don't have time." But I do still care about a lot of them. Has Facebook, with it's purpose of Keeping us Connected to those we love, actually made our relationships more shallow? I don't know.

Anyway...this just made me want to actually talk to these "friends" of mine about their lives instead of just "scrolling" through.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats!! That is so exciting. Facebook is so interesting. I'm so bad at staying connected with people and I'm not sure Facebook helps me have a relationship with my friends. At least it's good at letting me know what they are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very true. Friendships have taken a whole new perspective and even definition. I am "friends" with people whom I really do not have an active friendship with.
    I would like to look at it as "keeping in touch gone easy method". Before Facebook came along, there were the friendships that I had because of convenience. Those were the ones that lived near me and I ran circles with. Then there were those friends that lived far away and I communicated once a year with a Christmas card.
    Facebook has extended my friend base to those from my childhood, high school, past places I have lived and current friends where I live now.
    I agree with Jessica, it is a great way to be informed as to what everyone is up to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! And I loved this post - It's something I think about often. There are many friends on my Facebook that I still really care about and should make the time to talk to more often. I'm glad that Facebook keeps us updated on each other's lives, but I wish we did more to keep up our relationships. At the same time, I feel like a lot of the people we "friend" on Facebook aren't actually people who we truly invest care or concern for, beyond a surface-level interest. I frequently end up going through my friend list and deleting all of the people who I feel I don't really have any relationship with anymore.

    ReplyDelete