Sunday, February 1, 2015

Disney - a monopoly?


My husband and I had an interesting discussion this morning while watching Cinderella and playing Monopoly, both I had just received for my birthday. There was a special feature on the DVD about a major renovation of Disney World where they were doubling the size of Fantasyland to add more attractions. It looked amazing and we both said we want to go there. We went to Disneyland last year for our honeymoon and it was so much fun, other than the super long lines of course. But that's just what we've come to expect right? So we then started discussing how Disney has become a monopoly; they own everything; they seem to be all about getting money. However, we decided, it still makes us really happy when we watch Disney movies and visit the amusement park. And I love putting on the old Disney princess movies and reliving my childhood; there are so many memories there! I remember going to Disneyland when I was 12 and learning how to draw Minnie Mouse. We got to meet a few of the Imagineers, the creators of Disney, and I told my mom I was going to be one of those one day. Everyone seems so happy to work for Disney, but then again, maybe they're not really. Maybe it really isn't about magic and happiness all the time. But I don't really know. I probably will never actually become an Imagineer, but I think I will always love Disney for what it originally stood for: family and joy. If Disney starts making movies that don't fit with family values then that will be sad, and the Disney channel definitely has some stuff it has to work through ...but I will continue watching my old Disney classics and wishing I could travel to Florida to go to Disney World.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! I absolutely love Disneyland and the movies they create. My childhood was built on 101 Dalmatians and Cinderella! But I am extremely disappointed in the Disney Channel lately.. it is all about getting famous and making money, rather than focusing on family life. Most of the shows now are lame and I miss the days of Even Stevens and That's So Raven. Classic Disney movies will always have a place in my heart though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...you are right! I was surprised to learn in our reading (Chapter 3) all the things Disney DOES own...Disney Channel, ABC television network, Touchstone, Pixar, Marvel, Schoolhouse Rock, besides their theme and water parks. Wow. Definitely a big player.

    ReplyDelete