Monday, January 26, 2015

Themes from The Count of Monte Cristo

Musicals are media because they actors on stage are sending a message to the audience and we each receive it. Something I think is interesting though is the fact that we can all receive different messages based on what we're paying attention to. I went to The Count of Monte Cristo the musical this weekend and it was fantastic. The actors and actresses were wonderful and their singing was beautiful. I was impressed by the production team as well, with all the simple yet creative sets. The theme of whole musical seems to be revenge. Now that's not a very good theme if that's really what you're going for. But obviously as the end the main character realizes he doesn't want revenge and he should have listened to the old man in the prison in the first place. So its not really til the very end of the story when you learn the lesson that forgiveness is the best lesson to learn, and part of me hopes that no one left the play 5 minutes early or else they might not have gotten that.


On the other hand, maybe it's genius to show someone's whole life struggle to get revenge and then show that he changed his heart at the end when he still had a long life ahead of him (he's only in his 40's probably). I guess that's what the Atonement is all about right? That even if we've lived a life unworthily, we can change any time with Christ's help. It might take a long time, especially if we've committed larger sins, but Christ will forgive all those who come unto him.

1 comment:

  1. The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my husband's favorite movies, so I can see your struggle with his seemingly endless quest for revenge -- up until the last few minutes. (We've watched it many times!) I love that you tied the themes of the play into the Atonement, it's so amazing that through Him, we can always change. Also, I really hope my husband and I get to see this while it's here at BYU!

    ReplyDelete