Wednesday, January 14, 2015

I'm here!...yeah but are you present?


There's a difference between being in a room with a group of people talking and laughing and building relationships and being in a room with a group of people while everyone is looking at their phones. It doesn't matter what they're doing, scrolling through Facebook, checking their email, playing a game, it doesn't count as being social. I have had multiple experiences with this the past couple of weeks with family and friends. I think they just don't realize that what they're doing is slowly destroying relationships. When I'm sitting talking with people and they pull out their phone the message I get is:

 "you are boring me. Facebook is more entertaining", 
or "I don't really care about getting to know you better, so I'm just going to play a game." 

I've actually tried telling people who I love to get off their phones so they know how I feel, but all they say is "I'm here." Yeah your body is sitting on the couch next to me but you are not here with me.

I miss you...


Have you seen this video that has been going around? This girl doesn't have a phone and she's in multiple situations where everyone else is on theirs and she's obviously all left out. Why don't these videos work? Why don't people realize that they are the people in those videos who are ruining relationships and losing track of what's really important!?

4 comments:

  1. I agree! It's so easy to not have this perspective when you're actually on your phone. I love how this video and how it showed what a group of people on their phones look like to others who are trying to engage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a reality now. My daughter came home from mutual disappointed. She said that game night was a bust because everyone was on their phones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that phones definitely distract people and prevent relationships to be made! Maybe those of us who are conscious of this can make an effort to not use media in public!

    ReplyDelete