Sunday, March 8, 2015

Powerful Women

The video we watched in class on Wednesday really made me think about the shows I watch and what messages are being sent about women. I thought about how the video said that most protagonists in movies and TV are male and females are usually represented as weak. But then I thought about the show I've been watching, Once Upon A Time, and why I think I like it so much. It's because the main characters are women! Powerful, strong, courageous women! Now there are definitely things in that show that portray women sexually, and that do a disservice to men by making a few of them kind of chauvinist. But the majority of the messages being sent through that show are that women can be the authors of their own lives and they can be heroes too. I noticed that last week and mentioned it to my husband. He said he hadn't really thought about it, but it was pretty cool. You see, he's addicted to the show as well which makes me happy that he's watching a show that is very much about women, when usually he hates chick flicks. Once Upon  A Time is not your usual chick flick though. It's not all about getting the guy and hanging out with the girls; it's about doing what's right and sacrificing yourself for what matters most: family. I love it! The whole premise of the show is parents and children fighting for each other. It's true though that some of the relationships are not good parent-child relationships, but they do talk about how to make it up to their children for messing up in the past. It's almost as if they're teaching repentance and forgiveness, which is pretty cool. Anyway, just another reason for me to like this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment